Thursday, May 23, 2013

Some Who Classic Basics

In case any of you aren't that familar with the classic episodes of Doctor Who, I'll give it  basic run down before I do my first review. The original show was in serial form. Each episode was approximately 25 minutes, but would use a number of episodes to tell one story. On average 4 episodes equal one complete story, with a high of 12 and a low of 1. Basically you would get 3 "to be continued"s before you saw the whole story. After they were edited together for American release, they averaged 90 minutes in length.

The Key to Time
Sometime you would get story arcs, something which is used much more these days. Sometimes it was just over 2 or 3 episodes, but sometimes a story arc would cover a full season, or 4 to 6 stories. I'm paticularly thinking of arcs like the Black Guardian trilogy, E-space, the New Beginnings Master arc when the 4th Doctor regenerated, and for full seasons, The Key to Time and The Trial of a Time Lord (which I'm reviewing for June).
The Trial of a Timelord

Tom Baker is who I cite as my first Doctor, and he is. But truth be told, Peter Davison's 5th Doctor is the first one I got to know. He traveled with multiple companions almost to the very end. He was The Doctor for the 20th anniversary special, "The Five Doctors." He battled The Master several times, like 4 not counting the special. He also fought the legendary Timelord, Omega, previously seen in the 10th anniversary special, "The Three Doctors" and who lived in the antimatter universe. The Doctor was also reestablished as Lord President of Gallifrey. He started with 3 companions, said goodbye to 3, saw one return and leave again, one died, and ended by regenerating with a relatively new companion. He battled the Mara twice, Davros and the Daleks, the Sea Devils and Silurians, the Cybermen and the Black Guardian. He saw the Brigadier again, was executed on Gallifrey, and found out what happened to the dinosaurs.

Now I will do my first Who classic episode, which are called 'story' to encompass the number of episodes. Earthshock is story 121, and is the 6th story of season 19, Peter Davison's first season. It is 4 episodes which I will call 'parts' in the review. I love the Cybermen, so it's no surprise this is one of my favorites. The review will be up this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment